Friday, 27 October 2017

Water colour girl

Hi Folks,

I recently took a water colour course at Islandscapes Etc. and discovered, inadvertently, that water colour is a wonderful medium for making realistic skin tones. It was inadvertent because it was during a homework session with a classmate that I started drawing my face.

My friend asked me to show her how to draw an eye. In order to show her, I drew one. It looked lonely so I drew one to match. I added a nose, mouth and then figured I might as well go all the way with a head, shoulders and hair. The next day, I thought I would try my hand at painting it with water colours.  I had only ever painted faces with acrylics so I had no idea how I would manage with water colour paint.

My big challenge with painting skin in acrylics is to not have my portraits turning out looking like made-up corpses. I was very excited to discover the varied tones and translucent effect of water colour paint.

Here is my first attempt at a water colour girl, drawn and painted totally from my imagination.

7 comments:

Valerie-Jael said...

Fantastic painting! Nice to see you around again, hugs, Valerie

Nana Connie said...

WOW, Teresa! This is incredible skin coloring. No wonder you're so excited about it. :-D

Jeanette said...

Hi Teresa, love the drawing, looks awesome. Especially love the way you have drawn the hair and the eyes. Hugs, Jeanette, New Zealand.

Dr Sonia S V said...

So wonderful to see you having such a fabulous time with painting

Cheers
Dr Sonia

Angela Hoynes said...

Excellent skin tones, I am not very good with skin tones.

Jeannette said...

wow,this painting is amazing,beautiful expression.


hugs jenny

Donna Ellis said...

She is incredible, Teresa! I love what you have done, and the gorgeous colors! xx